How to make Cashew Pesto?
I love trying new foods, whether it be cooking them or trying them out at a restaurant. So one night I decided to make pesto which I haven’t tried in a while but something that was easy to make after a long day at work. I’m a girl that will read a recipe and change it the way I like it taste or consistency. If it fails, it fails. Ill just start from scratch, but in this case it came out so good, it is so much fun for me that way. I found a Pesto recipe that had pine nuts but i wanted to change it up by substituting pine nuts for cashew nuts which I may say so myself it was a success. I took me 5 minutes to make added it to Gluten free Spaghetti,Mushrooms and Chicken. The best part is that it can be stored in the fridge for up to a week. Hurry and go try it!!
1 cup of raw cashews (I used more that 1 cup)/1 bag cashews that are boiled for 15 minutes in 150 ml of boiling water.
4 cups of fresh basil( cut up)
50grams of yeast flakes (optional)
6 gloves of garlic.( you can use more or less depending on taste)
1/3 cup olive oil
2tbsp of lemon juice (optional)
pinch of salt and pepper
1 cup Parmesan cheese
How to cook pesto
- Add the Basil, Cheese,garlic,and cashew nuts and olive oil in food processor.
- Pulse until its all chopped up and combined but not pureed.
- Turn the food processor on and drizzle more olive oil, stopping and scraping down the sides a few times.
- Puree until the desired consistency. I like it to not taste so garlicky so i add more olive oil to make it smoother and taste less strong. Puree until you are happy with it.
- Taste and if need be add what ever you feel like you would like more of.
- Add pepper and salt
- Add it to whatever you are cooking with with. I paired it with Gluten free Pasta, Mushrooms and chicken. So yummy!!
- Mix and enjoy!